Mashed potatoes are favorite in my family especially these are loved by my uncle’s kids the most. This is one of the common recipe for serving potatoes which has always been quite filling. Many variations of mashed potatoes recipes are there around the world. Some do like it plain, with cheese etc. bacon bits depending upon the choice and your food preference.
Let me discuss an Easy Mashed Potato Recipe here:
- 1 tablespoon butter, or more as desired
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 large Yukon Gold potato per person (about 1/2 to 3/4 pound apiece)
- 1/2 cup milk or cream, or more as needed
- 1 ounce cream cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper
3-quart pot (or larger)
- Take a large pot and fill it with water and then stir in 2 teaspoons of salt.
- Now boil this water over high heat. Depending upon for how many people you actually want to serve this dish generally for 2-3 people about 1 1/5 pound Yukon Gold potatoes will do.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them in half or quarters lengthwise into thin strips. The potatoes can be chopped even finer and will go into the water, so it becomes easier to mash them later.
- Cook the finely chopped potatoes into the boiling water for about 15 to 20 minutes, till they fall apart and are tender to touch.
- Warm 1/2 cup of milk and keep it aside.
- Put a tablespoon of butter or olive oil on the potatoes to make it softer then add 1/2 cup of milk per pound of potatoes which will help the potatoes be creamy and smooth, and help to bind everything together.
- Instead of milk add cream or add an ounce of cream cheese or even a dollop of sour cream all is up to you. Whatever you wish to choose, always warm it first, before putting potatoes into it.
- Warm the milk or cream in the microwave, and bring the cream cheese or sour cream to room temperature.
- Once potatoes are softer, drain them completely and put them to the pan over medium heat. Add the butter and let it cook for a few minutes over medium heat, while stirring the potatoes rapidly and vigorously to let the residual water to evaporate.
- You can also break the potatoes up and smash them with the spoon. A fork will also help you. A masher can also be used to make an ultra-smooth potatoes. Just cook, stir, and smash the whole mixture.
- Once the remaining water evaporates and the potatoes are quite smashed up and smooth, it's best time to add the warm milk or cream. Pour the milk in slowly while also stirring constantly. Keep on stirring and cooking until the potatoes are hot, creamy, and smooth.
- Turn off the heat, add seasonings of your taste like pepper and salt if desired
Note: If all of the milk is mixed properly a heavy whisk can be used to break up the last chunks of potato.
This potato recipe makes so soft and smooth potato in texture that you are surely going to love it