These days many people are adopting vegetarian foods and becoming vegetarian. If you are a vegan or planning to convert into one; just keep one thing in mind include protein in your diet for sure. Well, I am not a vegan but I simply enjoy vegetarian food. Recently I went to my friend’s place for dinner. Her name is Neha and she is an Indian. Her mother cooked some amazing dishes and what I loved the most was Peanut Aloo (potato). It’s a perfect vegetable side dish you can have.
It was a very simple recipe and I haven’t waste a single moment and asked all the details about this fantastic recipe from her mother. I tried this recipe at home and I served it with a dip. The most complementing recipe to this recipe could be easy spinach dip recipes. Spinach dips made from yogurt is not just healthy but taste amazing. You can also try the cheesy version it taste great any which ways.
Now back to peanut aloo; things that you need are Indian spices and mustard oil. You can get these ingredients easily in an Indian market or just order them online. Mustard oil is the highlight of this recipe, it brings that extra zing to this recipe. It got a distinctive flavor and aroma that you can’t miss for sure.
Note: One thing which you need to keep in mind is that mustard oil got high smoking point of about 480°F. Which is a good thing when it comes to health but it contains less PUFA than any other oil like rice bran or sunflower oil.
Anyways it is common for recipes to heat mustard oil up to the smoke point. So make sure while making this recipe you heat up the oil properly.
Let’s start cooking then –
Preparation Time: 15-20 minutes
Cooking Time: 15-20 minutes
- 3 large Potatoes boiled, peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes
- ½ cup Roasted peanuts
- 1 tablespoon Mustard Oil
- 1 Green chili, silted and deseeded
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds or mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon Ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon Garlic paste
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon Dried mango powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons Fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- Heat oil in a non-stick wok on a medium-high heat, add green chili, cumin seeds and peanuts and sauté for a minute or so. Add ginger paste, garlic paste and turmeric powder and sauté for another minute.
- Now add potatoes and toss. Make sure all spices cover the potato evenly.
- Now add dried mango powder and salt and mix well. Add coriander leaves and mix again. Serve hot.