Thanksgiving is just around the corner. Now the sweet November is here, all you can see thanksgiving images, tips, ideas and simple recipes for the upcoming holiday. People simply love this day, going to your relative’s place for a nice thanksgiving dinner. You chit-chat, talk and just enjoy the moment with your loved ones. It’s that special day when you bow thanks to god for everything you have.
Thanksgiving is famous for its turkey dishes. But along with this you also need some side dishes, desserts and easy soup recipes. And who doesn’t like pumpkins. We start using this amazing vegetable from the Halloween and its use continues till Thanksgiving and Christmas too. A yummy warm pumpkin soup is perfect way to start your dinner on this festive season.
And today I am making this amazing soup – “Green Apple and Butternut Squash Soup”. This recipe is adapted from - http://phoo-d.com/2010/11/05/green-apple-and-butternut-squash-soup/
It’s really simple to make, yet amazingly flavored soup – it is a perfect way to begin a large meal. In this recipe, I used Granny Smith’s green apple and also a good quality curry powder. In fact I used the Indian curry powder but you can also use mild to medium hot powder according to your guest’s preferences. If they also like spicy soup Indian curry powder is really worth to try.
This recipe can serve up to 10 servings
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons good quality Indian curry powder (mild to medium hot as per your need)
- 1 or 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 5 cups chicken stock, homemade or low sodium
- 1 large butternut squash (approximately 8 cups), peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 3 firm, tart green apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
- Place a heavy saucepan or stockpot over medium heat. Add butter and onions, sautéing until the onions are translucent, for about 5 minutes.
- Now add the curry and chili powders and cook for another five minutes, stirring and pour in the stock and bring the liquid to a boil.
- Add the squash and apples to the pot. Now reduce the heat to maintain a simmer, and cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until the squash is soft and tender.
- Using a stick blender in the pot or a regular blender (if using a regular blender let the mixture get cooled a little and take care of the hot liquid not gets splashed) puree the soup until it is smooth.
- Stir in the cream, and bring the soup back to a simmer. Taste the soup and add in salt and pepper as necessary. If making ahead, let the soup cool and place it covered in the fridge for up to 3 days. Serve the soup warm, garnished with a sprinkle of chopped parsley or cilantro.
This soup recipe is really comforting, warm and soothing. The flavors are really amazing that your guest will simply love this soup. Additionally, you can also store this soup in the refrigerator for at least 3-4 days but if you are storing this soup please don’t add the cream in it. And whenever you want to serve it thaw it and add the cream accordingly.
I hope you will like this soup recipe, for more simple soup recipes I need your suggestions and ideas. You can comment your thought and ideas too for this thanksgiving menu. Till then, Happy Thanksgiving! :)