Winter are around the corner and the best recipe to have in winters is chili recipe. It’s warm, nourishing and wholesome recipe that you can have in dinner as well as in lunch. Chili recipe is known for its beans and ground meat in the ingredients some people also add 3 types of beans in the recipe. But what if a person is allergic to beans?
I have one cousin who is allergic to beans even to green beans which is the least allergic in the bean family. So making a chili recipe for him is always challenging. Lately, I was reading about the Paleo diet and read that there is always a confusion in the origin of a classic chili recipe. Some people say that real chili is made without beans whereas some say it’s made with beans. Anyways I like both versions of chili. But today I am making a simple recipe of chili without using beans.
I am trying to make this recipe according to Paleo Diet which is low in carbs and good for the people who are into fitness and weight loss. Nevertheless, this recipe also pleases the whole family. If you aren’t doing Paleo diet, you can top it with cheese and sour cream.
You can add lots of veggies in it to make it healthy and hale. Believe me, don’t go with a name if it’s Paleo. This recipe taste just great that you will make this recipe quite often. My cousin just loved it and said that now he will come to my place quite often for this bowl of bliss. Hehehe :D
So, let’s not waste any more time and start cooking –
This recipe can serve up to 6 servings
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Total: 40 Minutes
- 1½ pounds ground beef
- 3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 large carrots, peeled
- 2-3 zucchinis, diced
- 1 cup of mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 can tomato puree
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- In your skillet pan or cast iron pot, put seasoned brown beef and garlic. Cook over medium heat until beef is thoroughly cooked and browned. Drain off excess fat, set aside.
- Add oil, onions, celery, carrots and seasonings to the skillet and cook until translucent over medium high heat, about 5-7 minutes. Once onions are golden and veggies are midway cooked, add zucchinis and mushrooms cook for 2 minutes making sure you stir everything well.
- Add cooked beef back into the pot, tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef stock and stir well. Bring everything to a boil, stirring frequently, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Check this mixture often and stir well. Remove the bay leaf and Serve immediately. You can also top it with cheese or sour cream if you want. Otherwise garnish with chopped celery.
Tip: try using less sodium beef stock. And also check the quantity of salt if stock already has salt, try to avoid adding salt in the recipe or add as per your taste. This recipe got lots of potassium which balances the sodium, so you need not to worry!
I hope you will like this simple ground beef recipe. It’s healthy, nourishing and even good for the people who are allergic to beans. If you have any queries or ideas, please feel free to share with us. Thanks for reading the blog. Bon appetite!